Straight From The Hearth "Kar"-bonara from Executive Chef Chris Davis
As The Hearth at Karrikin begins thinking about what life will be like in the post-COVID world, Executive Chef Chris Davis introduces a new social media video series which hopes to introduce some recipes you can make at home. First up from Straight From The Hearth, Chef Davis shows you how to whip up a carbonara or “Kar”-bonara as he calls it, with nothing but what’s likely already in your fridge.
- 3-4oz. bacon
- Dry pasta
- Salt & Pepper
- 2oz. shake cheese
Follow these easy directions for a successful “Kar”-bonara:
- Cook pasta one minute less than suggestion on box.
- If using bacon, cut it into thin strips and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Try to make the bacon nice and crispy, so maybe 7 minutes or so. Stir occasionally.
- While your bacon cooks, mix together your one whole egg, and two egg yolks with your shake cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now, if your pasta is ready, remove it from heat and pull out a couple cups of pasta water to set aside. Drain the rest from your pasta.
- In the same skillet you’ve cooked your bacon, add 3/4 cup of pasta water and bring to a boil.
- Toss your pasta in and, while stirring vigorously (yes, vigorously) add your egg and cheese mix and pull off heat.
- Listening to music? Now’s a good time to dance! Dance back and forth with your pan to and from the heat so you don’t scramble the egg in your dish!
- Do this until the eggs are cooked and your sauce looks like heavy cream!
- Season with another crack of pepper and some olive oil if you have it and enjoy!